Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Night CircusThe Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It is no secret that I'm a narration snob. I don't generally enjoy first-person, and I certainly have no patience for present-tense. And OMNISCIENT present-tense? Forget about it! It's nothing but a clever little gimmick to hide the fact that you don't have a compelling story.

Oh how very wrong I was with The Night Circus. When a book I am pre-disposed to hate keeps me so engrossed, so wrapped up that I can't sleep at night, that writer has created something truly magical. And the Night Circus was nothing but magic, with every turn of every page. It wasn't just a book I enjoyed reading, it was a book I let myself drown in. A book that I couldn't wait to return to at the end of work, or even during work. Every free moment I could spare was spent in the black-and-white mysteries of "Le Cirque des Reves..." The circus of dreams.

So come on in. Let yourself wander between the tents and get swept up in the show. It is a spellbinding, haunting journey that you won't soon forget.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment